Tuesday 25 January 2011

To unsubscribe or to not unsubscribe...do companies pay any attention?

Do you keep a track of all the companies whose emails you've unsubscribed from?

I certainly tried...5 years ago...But nowadays you buy things from so many websites, sign up to so many email lists and get so much spam, that it becomes impossible to keep track of which emails are solicited and which aren’t.

Fast forward to today...

Just before 2pm, I received an email from Moonpig telling me about their new Valentine’s Day offers...



Didn’t think anything of it, deleted it, carried on with my day.

4 hours later I received another email from Moonpig, apologising for sending me the earlier one:




The question is, had I unsubscribed? I don’t think I had!  I buy cards from Moonpig periodically and so I kind of expected to receive emails from them.  

I only realised it was a mistake when they told me they had made a mistake, and I still don’t think it was a mistake anyway!

So what do you do when you’ve realise you may have sent emails out to people you shouldn’t have...send an email to the same dataset apologising just in case? Or actually work out who shouldn’t have received the email and apologise to them instead.

Considering Moonpig’s business is purely online, this is something Moonpig should be experts at.  Handling personal data, managing CRM databases, sending useful emails etc etc...this should be their bread and butter.

But now, my impression is that they have now made a mistake...when they might not have done.

What would have been the right thing to do?


2 comments:

  1. I think they shouldn't of sent you the last email out at the end. I think if anyone had complained then yes maybe it would have been ok to send them an apology email maybe. Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is probably to try to alleviate any potential problems of their e-mails being flagged as spam. As you rightly say, their business is based around online technologies and if their domain got blacklisted, I imagine it would screw them over royally!

    You may well find that when you signed up you ticked the box saying "please don't e-mail me stuff" in which case, sending it to you was wrong regardless of whether you buy from them or not.

    Anyway, it isn't the end of the world either way IMHO.

    Cheers

    The Moose

    ReplyDelete